Saturday, December 23, 2017

HARDWARE|BIOS-UEFI|KERNEL|SHELL|OPERATING SYSTEM|APPLICATION

          So, This just happened. I have an external drive that I wiped with DD. This basically means that while the device is a available to be used. It has no structure. I plugged it into my computer. Windows explorer did not show the drive. I checked to see if perhaps command line could find the device. Using a command I learned from my professor, WMIC DISKDRIVE GET NAME,SIZE,SERIAL. The shell  command line recognized the device and could give me its size. The operating system on the other hand could not do so. I found the device in the device manager. I must have forgot everything I learned from lack of practice. I went to reddit and asked the reditors for clues.
        One reditor suggested to use DISKMGMT.MSC. And yes indeed, the shell confirmed that physical 1 was 1TB and from the DISK MANAGER I saw that Physical 1 was also 1TB. All that was required was for the Operating System to give it a Volume assignment and also to be formatted, I chose exFAT. I will be using this drive for my machine instead of as a portable mass storage device.
       This brings up something important when it comes to machines. Every step of the way there are different function that you can accomplish with the different levels of accessibility.
       I was able to find the DEVICE in the SHELL but I had to create a volume through the OPERATING SYSTEM to be able to use the DEVICE as a recognizable DRIVE.
      Below is some simple information that may help you.

I'm not sure what the below model should be called but I call it MODEL OF PRIVILEGE

No comments:

Post a Comment